Monday, October 14, 2013

Halloween Burlap Banner

I have been eager to create a banner using burlap. I love the country/cottage look of burlap.  But, I have so many signs in my house and at school that I wanted to display something other than letters.

So, I remembered a table runner that I purchased years ago from Pottery Barn Kids.  Quite frankly I don't use it because I don't have a rectangular table anymore.  Also, it was a bit young looking for my now middle and high school aged children.

I stuck to a black and white theme so the banner would fit nicely into my current classroom decor.  But, I did want to incorporate some colors of the season. The table runner fit the bill.  I even have some pictures from the runner to save for another project.

First, I cut out of the pictures that were shaped like circles.  They happened to be the black and white backgrounds.  


I placed the circle cut-outs on top of a burlap roll that I had purchased from Michael's.  The burlap has a plastic backing to keep it stiff.  Then, I cut out the burlap so it provided a background/layered effect for the Halloween pictures.



After all four pictures were cut along with the burlap background, I strung some burlap twine through each circle.  I used a large, yarn needle.


Now, it's hung on my classroom door!  I just used 2 Command hooks to create a draping effect around the wreath.  It adds some visual appeal, as well as, some holiday happiness. 

I can't wait to make more banners for home and school.  The banner to label my "Literacy Lounge" area of the classroom is a pre-made banner from Party City.  I love it, but I think the DIY styles are more charming. The holidays are the perfect time to get started with creative ideas.  

Pinterest is a great site for gathering banner ideas. Just type "banners" into the search box and a multitude of different banner styles pop up.

Cheers!
Shannon






No comments:

Post a Comment